January 08, 2021

Review: The Ravens (Spoiler Free)

Hello my lovelies, I hope you're all having a great day!

First eARC of the year coming in for review in the form of The Ravens by Kass Morgan and Danielle Paige - Thanks to the folks over at Netgalley and Hodder & Stoughton for the chance to read this.






Vivi and her mother have always travelled from place to place, never settling anywhere for too long. When Vivi decides to enroll in Westerly College, she's choosing to finally set herself some roots. Her mother doesn't want her to go and even says the school isn't safe. But what could possibly be unsafe about college? 


Scarlett has always been destined to become a Raven - a member of Kappa Rho Nu, one of the most selective sororities on campus. Her mother and her sister before her were both presidents in their time there. Scarlett knows the only way she's going to live up to the family expectation is to become president, get a good job, and marry the love of her life. 


What do the two have in common? Well, in just a few short days of being on campus, Vivi discovers she's a witch. How does she know? Because she attended a sorority party over at Kappa Rho Nu. The Ravens, you see, are witches, and only those with magical abilities are invited to pledge. Scarlett is partnered with Vivi as her 'big sister', shadowing her and helping her to become a fully fledged member of the sorority - but there is trouble abound for both girls - and in fact the Ravens as a whole. 

Whilst I enjoyed the book overall, some elements were just the sterotypical run of the mill YA drama. Viv and Scarlett were often involved in a rivalry that Vivi had no real clue about. Scarlett was very in her head about Vivi a lot of the time, and mistreated her because of it in places.  It sometimes also meant that character development didn't always land right, and often I felt that Scarlett in particular was a little on the flat side in terms of her character - she gave off some pre-Stepford wives vibes!


That being said, I did think that the book did a great job encapsulating the bitchiness that I saw firsthand during my university days. The plot twist was interesting and kept me guessing, and I look forward to the next book in the series to see what Vivi and Scarlett have in store!


That's all from me, I hope you have a great day. Let me know what you're reading, stay safe, and I will see you all very soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment