October 09, 2020

Review: Kingdom of the Wicked (Spoiler Free)

Hello my lovelies, I hope you're all having a great day!

I was so lucky to snag myself an eARC of Kingdom of the Wicked. Actually, I was doubley lucky, as I recieved it from both Hodder and Staunton (UK) and Jimmy Patterson Presents (US). I had been super excited about reading this novel from the moment Kerri Maniscalco posted the announcement on Instagram.  


Set in 19th Century Palermo, the story follows the di Carlo twins, Emilia and Vittoria. They're just your average teenage girls; except for the fact that they're witches. All their lives, they've been warned against The Wicked - Demon princes of hell by their Nonna. The twins work at their family restaurant, Sea & Vine. One night, Vittoria misses dinner service, and Emilia, on her quest to locate her sister, finds her body. It's been desecrated - her heart is missing. 

Emilia vows vengance on the person responsible for her sister's death. Enter Wrath, one of the demon princes Emilia has been warned about her whole life. Claiming to be on Emilia's side, Wrath has been tasked by the Devil himself to hunt down the killer responsible for the deaths of three women on the island of Sicily, of which Vittoria was the most recent. But when it comes to the Wicked, nothing is as it seems.

I absolutely loved this book. It felt very cozy for me. It might have to do with the fact that it's set in Italy, and the mention of the food, the smells, just feel instantly like home for me. It might also be the fact that I live for books about witches and demons and intrigue. It might even be the fact that I've loved everything that Kerri Maniscalco has written so far, and her writing style is a comfortable place for me.

I loved the characters. They're all well rounded, but I'll admit that Wrath is probably my favourite. He's your typical bad guy, arrogant and sexy, but he's also a demon prince of Hell so you expect nothing less. The way that he and Emilia interact is great and I really enjoyed their banter. 

It's clear that Kerri did her research about the place she was writing about and was really able to bring to life the city to life. It was wonderful to read about places that you can still visit today, such as Castello della Zisa, and I loved the fact that she took the time to discuss the food, too. 

Although demons and witches are not a new concept, the way that Kerri worked their narrative together felt different from your average story. Each twist and turn that the narrative took made me question what I already knew from other worlds and their lore.

The only drawback of reading this book as an eARC is that I now have to wait for the next book, and I really can't wait.I cannot wait to get my physical copy!

Rating:

Release Date: 27th October, 2020

Pre-ordered?: Yes

That's all from me, I hope you have a great day. Let me know what you're reading, stay safe, and I will see you all very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment