October 29, 2020

Review: These Violent Delights (Spoiler Free)

Hello my lovelies, I hope you're all having a great day!

Another eArc that I was able to snag from Netgalley was These Violent Delights, by Chloe Gong. I hadn't heard much about the book until I saw it available for request, but the premise of it pulled me in, and I was really excited to pick it up. 


Two households, both alike in dignity, 
In fair Verona where we lay our scene
From ancient grudge break to new mutiny,
Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean.

For Chloe Gong's reimaging of our favourite star crossed lovers Romeo and Juilet, almost everything about the iconic opening to William Shakespeare's tragedy could describe her book. But we are not in Verona anymore, Toto. Instead, the book takes us to 1920s Shanghai, where Roma Montagov is heir of the White Flowers, and Juilette Cai has just returned from New York to stand at her father's side as heir to the Scarlet Gang.  Both gangs occupy different territory in the city, their blood feud burning stronger than anything and yet... four years ago, Juliette had fallen in love with the White Flowers heir. And it had cost her dearly. Roma betrayed her, escalated their blood feud, and Juliette was sent back to New York. Now, she hates him. 

But the citizens of Shanghai face something more terrifying than rival gangs fighting. There's talk of a monster, talk of a madness plaguing the city, causing people to claw out their throats. Something needs to be done. White Flowers and Scarlets are dying to this sickness, and after witnessing the death firsthand in the Scarlet speakeasy, both gang heirs want to get to the bottom of it. Their only hope is to set aside their differences and work together. If they don't, there might not be a city to rule when all is said and done.


I'm going to be completely honest here; I wanted to dislike this book. I didn't want to fall in love with another series that had just started, leaving me in limbo until the next book came out. And yet, that's exactly what I did.

The rich world building, the characters, the storytelling... everything about this book drew me in. I loved the dynamics between Roma and Juilette,  Marshall and Benedikt, the family interactions....I was left hanging on the edge of my seat with each twist and turn into the story, and the ending. Oh my word. That ending has stayed with me since reading the book, and I and so sad that I'm not able to pick up the sequel to find out what happens next. 


Release Date: 17th November, 2020

Pre-ordered?: Yes

That's all from me, I hope you have a great day. Let me know what you're reading, stay safe, and I will see you all very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment